Warehouse Burns Down In Sikhottabong


A warehouse containing electrical equipment and rubber pipes in Dongnaxok-Neua village, Sikhottabong district, was engulfed by flames on Tuesday morning. Fortunately no one was injured in the blaze.

An official at the Vientiane Prevention and Protection Police Department told Vientiane Times yesterday the fire started at about 5:50am on August 2.

The police and Vientiane Rescue deployed 11 fire trucks to bring the blaze under control, saying the fire took hold very quickly as many of the items stored inside were highly flammable. It took fire fighters about four hours to completely extinguish the flames.

The warehouse was owned by Mr Chao, 60, a businessman from Thailand.

According to initial estimates, the losses are thought to be considerable. The police and other authorities are currently investigating the scene and are in the process of assessing those costs.

Two other fires occurred in Vientiane last week, with flames completely destroying a single-storey wooden house in Donkhaxai village, Hadxaifong district.

It took fire fighters about 30 minutes to completely extinguish the flames but by then there was almost nothing left of the property.

The house was owned by Ms Chanthala Sivilay, 41, with authorities estimating property losses at about 50 million kip.

The other fire broke out at a company’s premises in Nonghai village, also in Hadxaifong district, but was extinguished before it could cause much damage. The police and Vientiane Rescue were called to the scene and were able to put out the fire before it spread.

The Vientiane Prevention and Protection Police Department advise the public to check electrical devices before leaving home, to take care whenburning rubbish, and not to let children play with fire.

The department also repeated its warning for people to be on their guard against accidental fires and not to take risks with electrical wiring or appliances, or to leave burning candles unattended.

According to the department, 37 fires occurred in the capital from January to June causing over 5 billion kip in damage.

Some 33 houses burned down, five hectares of grass were scorched, five people were injured, and one person died in the fires. Five motorbikes and one car were among the many items damaged or destroyed.

Officials said 22 of the fires were caused by electrical shorts, another four by the burning of grass or garbage which spread to nearby properties, and one was due to lighted candles.

In the event of a fire, the number to call for the Vientiane Prevention and Protection Police Department is 1190 or 021 212707.

Source: Vientiane Times