Landfill Fire Almost Out, Residents Affected by Toxic Smoke

Landfill Fire Almost Out

The fire that consumed the Vientiane Capital landfill at KM32, Phasouk Village in Xaythany District has been almost completely extinguished, however nearby residents have been affected by toxic smoke.

Mr Chanthala Inthalangsy, Xaythany District Governor and head of the committee responsible for dealing with the landfill fire stated in a press conference on 6 March that measurements of the toxicity levels of the smoke found that it was beyond safety standards, with eleven nearby villages being directly affected.

He said that the Ministry of Public Health was working hard raising awareness of health concerns among the local population. Those that are not able to leave their homes have been instructed to wear safety masks to protect against dust and smoke, and have been told to remain low to the ground and to stay inside their homes. They have also been told to continually wash their hands to protect against food contamination.

Those experiencing respiratory problems, dizziness, or heart problems have been instructed to seek immediate medical attention.

The KM32 landfill fire broke out on March 4 and consumed some 30 hectares of the landfill area, causing a cloud of toxic smoke.

The fire brigade and a team of volunteers worked day and night to control the fire using a combination of fire trucks with water hoses, and bulldozers to smother the fire with soil.

The cause of the fire remains unknown.

Source: Lao Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *